PUMPKIN WAFFLES

For those who know me well, you know I am a sucker for waffles! Especially Belgian waffles! However, I found this recipe on Pinterest and I'm just in love with these pumpkin waffles. They are so delicious and they are perfect to eat in this cold weather!!! PLUS the best thing about them is that they are HEALTHY!!! Again, for those who know me, you know I'm a health freak most of the time! :)
These waffles are made with whole wheat flour, flax seeds, coconut oil and delicious spices.  I promise you won't regret eating them. My husband who is NOT a health freak and loves to eat crappy food said they are delicious and asked me to make them more often! There you have it! Proof these taste heavenly! 

I found the recipe via The Lemon Bowl

I also made the maple syrup from scratch.  I never thought it was so freaking easy to make maple syrup. The homemade version tastes much better than the store bought version, plus you know exactly what is inside the bottle because you made it! It is very cost effective too.  You just need water, refined and brown sugar and maple extract. That's it!


INGREDIENTS
  1 cup plain low fat yogurt
  ¾ cup pure pumpkin
  ½ cup low fat milk
  2 large eggs
  2 tablespoons coconut oil - melted
  2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  1 teaspoon vanilla
  1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
  ½ cup ground flax seed
  1 tablespoon baking powder
  1 tablespoon cinnamon
  1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  ½ teaspoon ground cloves
  ½ teaspoon salt
  chopped walnuts and additional maple syrup - optional

INSTRUCTIONS
1  Heat waffle maker while you begin making the batter.
2  In a medium bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients: pumpkin through vanilla.
3  In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour through salt.
4  Slowly add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until incorporated, careful not to over-mix.
5  Spray waffle maker with cooking spray and pour batter in, about ½ cup at a time. Cook until lightly golden brown or according to manufacturer's instructions.
6  Serve with chopped walnuts and more maple syrup if you wish although my kids ate them without any toppings!

0 comments